17 Feb 2013

The Beginning...

It was the 23rd of May 2011; I could recall that I called in sick that day because of a stomach flu. I also recall that there was a seat sale by Air Asia that started on that day as well - on offer was a roundtrip trip to Melbourne (for travel in 2012) for less than S$350. I called my then girlfriend Babes to check if a trip down under would be of interest to her. I had little doubt that she would oblige because Australia is a country that both of us really wanted to visit - it was really just a matter of getting a cheap ticket going there. And it didn't take too long before I booked a ticket for 14th June 2012.

It is not a typo, I did pay for tickets which we won't be using until more a year after...


Little did I know that the by buying those tickets, it would start a series of event which would ultimately lead us to embark on a new adventure.


Fast forward to mid-June 2012; we went on to visit Melbourne and instantly we fell in love with the place. And the rest they say is history.



Enjoying a stroll on a cool winter morning in Melbourne...

I will try to give a recount of how we got hold of our immigrant visa and at the same time I will try to live out the experience of two new migrant from the Philippines as we try to start a new life in Australia.


Bear with me as I am not really a born writer and but I will be doing my best to make this as interesting as possible for all of us...


Regards,

Marvin

4 comments:

  1. Hi Marvin,

    My wife is going on the same path but we are unable to attach a company letterhead on her reference letters. She has secured her COE with company letterhead though. We think that the reference letters are necessary to provide description of her "duties/responsibilities" and to support here COE. Her company does not provide letterheads reference letters and only able to provide brief description of her employment in the COE. Do you think CPAA will accept her reference letters? I have tried googling about providing a Statutory Declaration in this kind of situation for CPAA assessment, but I have no luck. Please advise, I'm asking you because you have mentioned about Statutory Declaration in this blog.

    Sincerely,
    Pepe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pepe, thank you for dropping by mate...

      I am not sure if CPAA will accept reference letters that are not in company letterhead however you can definitely be able to execute a statutory declaration (for Commonwealth countries) or an affidavit if you live in the Philippines. It is important to have this signed by a lawyer (or its equivalent) to make the document legal.

      This is exactly what we did - we drafted out the document which stipulates (1) reason why we cannot provide a detailed COE from the company and (2) the complete list of her duties and responsibilities.

      All the best to you!

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much Marvin for this information, especially for giving the 2 essential things you've declared in your affidavit. I do not know very much about affidavits and statutory declarations. My little knowledge about it is that they are not equivalent but similar in nature. However, you've clarified that you have used an affidavit, and statutory declarations are for Commonwealth countries only. I'm glad that we can use an affidavit for my wife's documents that does not have any company letterheads.

      Cheers,
      Pepe

      Delete
    3. Pepe, we used a statutory declaration as this was our option as we resided in Singapore - with respect to your little knowledge in drafting these, I suggest you talk to a lawyer and explain what you will be needing. Give them a draft of what you want to be included. They should know how and what to edit if needed. Tks!

      Delete